October has rolled around once more, and you know what that means! Warm cider and candy? Well, yes. But more importantly, it’s the month of Halloween and spooky things abound. Creepies and crawlies stand ready right outside our doors, and whether you’re a big fan of the season or not, there are plenty of frights to go around. But what if we told you there might be plenty of scares right in your very own home?
Homes can quickly become a hotbed for plenty of frightening surprises. We can find them in our walls, under the floorboards, and even in our HVAC systems! Wondering what kind of spooky shocks might be lurking in your furnace this fall season? The team at BVS Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning is here to clue you in on the most common autumn HVAC surprises and how you might banish them!
HVAC System Monsters & How to Fight Them Off
You may be privy to a couple of these agitating apparitions, but a few might surprise you.
- Crawlies. When’s the last time you had your duct system looked at by a pro? If it’s been a while, you might be visited by anything from flying crawlies to eight legged freaks! Pests and insects often attempt to make ducts a place to inhabit as temperatures drop outdoors, and if they find your ducts full of great places to nest up, they might attempt to become permanent residents. If you can’t remember your last duct cleaning service, now is the best time!
- Green monsters. On the same topic of your ducts, were you aware that ducts are one of the leading locations for mold to cultivate in a home? Much like a basement or utility space, ducts are dark, get just enough air flow, and have access to outside air. All ingredients for a rapidly growing mold colony! Mold can lead to serious home damage, and even potentially loss of personal items, so it’s a good idea to have a professional have a look.
- Dusty goblins. Left alone too long, furnaces and air conditioning systems can accumulate massive amounts of dust and debris. Even in the span of a couple of months! To prevent dust accumulation in your HVAC system, be sure to replace your air filter frequently and never neglect to pursue professional maintenance in the spring and fall.
- Foul, musty odors. Is the air coming from your furnace stinking like a witch’s brew? If the air is stale and musty, you probably have a buildup of dust within your furnace or heating system. Check your filter first and foremost, and if that’s not the cause, call in the experts! If the smell is more akin to a sickly rotting sort of smell, you might be plagued by those green monsters we were talking about before.
- Bumps in the night. Sudden clanks, bangs, and squeals wake you up in the middle of the night? You might have an HVAC emergency that requires furnace repair on your hands! Odd sounds coming from your furnace or heat pump often indicate loose or damaged components. These not only prevent your system from working properly, but if left alone too long, loose or damaged parts can severely harm your HVAC system—potentially even creating a need for heating replacement. Never ignore odd sounds coming from your heating system!
All Treats, No Tricks with BVS
Suddenly being robbed of your comfort by a breakdown or unexpected heating complication? Don’t let the ghosts and goblins impact your home’s comfort! The team at BVS boasts some of the fastest and most effective HVAC diagnostic services in Houston! We will locate and resolve your HVAC problem in record time, and our repair services always hit the mark.
Ronald is one of the key contributors to BVS Home Experts, a family-owned and operated full-service air conditioning and heating company serving the Katy and West Houston areas. With a deep understanding of air conditioning and heating concerns, Ronald brings a wealth of knowledge to our readers.