A summer in Texas is never something to trifle with. As homeowners, we contend with downright sweltering evenings, and nearly unbearable days. So when it comes to your air conditioning system, you need it running as effectively and efficiently as possible! How do you get the most out of your air conditioner? The experts at BVS Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning have some tips!
BVS has been offering our patrons prime heating, cooling, and ventilation services for years. We carry all of the skill and experience needed to keep your system working at its absolute best, and our technology is cutting-edge! When you need repair, replacement, or maintenance for your air conditioner, call on the best at BVS!
Summer Air Conditioner Maintenance Tips
Keeping your air conditioner in peak condition is key to getting the best performance and lowest costs possible. There are plenty of things you can do as a homeowner to keep your system working at its best:
- Replace filters consistently. This is an important task no matter where you call home, but here in Sealy, it’s downright critical. Dust, debris, and pollen can make its way into your system very regularly. This results in not only worse air quality in your home, but poor returns on efficiency as well. Filters should be replaced every three months at the absolute most, and monthly for maximum results.
- Clear basic components. For comprehensive cleaning, a professional is your best bet. But brushing or clearing dust from your evaporator coil and the air conditioner’s exterior is a quick and simple task that can keep your system working better for far longer.
- Check outdoor unit. An outdoor unit that is coated in leaves and debris can leave your blower motor and compressor choked and laboring harder than it needs to. This reduces efficiency, and can leave your home warmer than you’d like it to be.
One of the biggest factors you deal with in home cost is, of course, heating and cooling (nearly half, in fact!). So keeping your home running as efficiently as possible can see huge returns:
- Window control. During the day, have your windows both closed and covered with drapes or treatments. Thermal heat generated by the sun is no joke, and can increase the temperature in your home by multiple degrees. If you’re a fan of fresh air, open windows in the evenings, just be sure they’re closed up again by sunrise, when humidity and heat begin to rise.
- Close off unused spaces. Your air conditioner works to cool the entirety of your home evenly. So it stands to reason that unused areas are just wasting money and cooling potential. Rooms that lack air ducts or unit controls (closets, utility rooms, etc) should be closed when not being used. This will reduce the workload on your unit, and as a result lower the amount of money you throw into superfluous cooling.
- Shut off your unit when away. When off to work, or out of town, cut your unit off. It’s eating loads of energy, whether you’re home or not, and if you’re not going to benefit from the cooling you’re paying for, you might as well not pay for it!
Ronald is one of the key contributors to BVS Home Experts, a family-owned and operated full-service air conditioning and heating company serving the Katy and West Houston areas. With a deep understanding of air conditioning and heating concerns, Ronald brings a wealth of knowledge to our readers.