If there’s one thing that literally everyone loves, it’s saving things. We love saving time, we love saving energy, and we love saving money! And with winter coming up, there’s a lot of saving to be done. Finding yourself bracing for high energy costs this winter? If so, the experts at BVS Air Conditioning & Heating have some good news for you!
Ready for your late-season HVAC system maintenance? Contact BVS online to find out more!
Optimizing Your Heating for Energy Savings
The biggest drain on cost in your home is hands-down your heating and cooling system. And come winter, you’re sure to be depending on some high quality heat. Optimizing your HVAC system and getting into some good habits can go a long, long way in lowering your overall energy costs.
- Swap out your air filter. If you haven’t done so yet, change out your air filter. Good, healthy air flow makes your furnace work faster and better, and reduces its overall workload, vastly improving its energy efficiency.
- Drop the temp. Were you aware that every single degree of heating your furnace provides accounts for up to 10 percent more energy used in the context of your system? If you normally keep your home a toasty 72, take it down a notch to 71. We guarantee you’ll be able to spot the difference on your energy bill.
- Leave the vents open. Some folks opt to close vents in rooms they frequently leave vacant in hopes of diverting more heat into the other rooms of the home. In reality, this actually harms the efficiency of your furnace system by harming air flow and air pressure in your HVAC system. You’ll get better quality heating at higher efficiency by leaving all vents open!
- Get your maintenance. Professional furnace maintenance is the absolute best way to make sure you’re getting the best bang for your buck from the furnace system in your home. Not only does it reduce the risk of costly breakdowns, but it also has a huge impact on the energy-efficiency of your furnace.
Good Home Energy Habits
These tips are somewhat divorced from HVAC ideas, but are also an awesome way to reduce energy use all year long:
- Unplug unused appliances. Phantom energy use accounts for a fairly significant amount of your energy bill on a routine basis. This happens because all appliances, when plugged in, consume minute amounts of energy even when switched off or not in use. So when you’re not using that microwave, phone charger, or television, go ahead and unplug it and you’ll find yourself saving just a bit more this month!
- Avoid using energy in “peak” times. Many (not all) energy companies actually change the rate for kilowatts per hour depending on the time of day. Contact your power company to find out if they do this, and if they do, avoid using energy during those “peak” hours!
- Wash clothes on the cold setting. Using cold water to wash clothes is a great way to reduce the load on your water heater, and by extension, lower your overall monthly energy use.
Heating Maintenance in Katy & Houston, Texas
In Texas, regular maintenance reduces heating costs, improves dependability and increases the life of your heating system. Prevent breakdowns and emergency repairs by scheduling routine maintenance for your furnace. Not only does neglecting your furnace result in expensive emergency repairs, but it’s also dangerous to your family’s health. A neglected furnace can emit deadly carbon monoxide into your home. Respiratory illnesses, allergies, infections and fatigue may all be traced to a neglected heating system.
Ready to get more for less this winter season? Extend the life of your furnace today by scheduling an appointment and learning the benefits of our Healthy House maintenance Program!