Let’s face it—we could all use a little more cash in our pockets during the holidays. Whether you’re buying gifts and decorations, or traveling to visit family, most people’s expenses are higher during this time of year. But they don’t all have to be that way! Because we love being on Santa’s nice list, the home experts at BVS have put together a list of ways you can save money on your electric bill this winter!
Save on Energy Costs in Winter
According to the U.S. Department of Energy, the heating and cooling system is the largest energy expense in most homes, accounting for more than half of your energy use. Here’s a few ways you can reduce those costs but still stay warm and comfortable:
- Lower the thermostat. When there are guests over, kids running around, and the oven running, your home can get hotter than usual. Lowering the thermostat a few degrees can make everyone more comfortable, and each degree lower you set the thermostat can reduce your energy bill 1 to 3 percent!
- Schedule maintenance. Nothing is worse than a mid-season breakdown in the middle of a holiday party! Scheduling professional furnace maintenance can help prevent costly surprises and keep your system running smoothly.
- Change your air filter. Besides improving your home’s air quality, a clean filter is easier for your heating system to pass air through. A more efficient furnace is a money-saving furnace!
- Keep curtains open. Even though the temperature outside is chilly, the sun’s rays can still provide heat to your home—and they’re free! To take advantage of them, keep curtains open during the day and make sure to close them at night.
Lower Your Utility Bill During the Holidays
These energy-saving tips can help your utility bills drop faster than Times Square’s ball on New Year’s Eve!
- New and improved lightbulbs. Gone are the incandescent holiday lights of old; today’s newer strings of LED lights use 80% less energy and can last up to 25 times longer!
- Haul out the holly. Stringing lights isn’t the only way to be festive this holiday season! Alternative decorations such as holly, evergreen garlands, and tinsel don’t add to your electric bill but still keep your home merry and bright.
- Unplug, unplug, unplug. Put holiday lights on a timer or unplug devices before you go to bed. Save the electricity for when you’re awake to enjoy them! Bonus: Use a power strip to easily turn off multiple items at once.
- Go with the low-flow. If you’re having lots guests over during the holidays, your water bill can skyrocket. Switching faucets and shower heads to low-flow options can help you save 25% to 60% on your home’s water bill!
Keep Your Home Energy-Efficient This Winter
Winter is notorious for bringing high utility costs along with its cold weather. Your normal household utility costs can even double during the winter months if you aren’t careful! Using these energy-saving tips can help you keep more heat in your home and more money in your pocket. Maintaining your HVAC unit year-round, including regular furnace safety checks, can put your mind at ease and allow you to focus on fun and family this holiday season.
Ready for a maintenance check? Ensure your home is running cleanly and efficiently—contact us now to schedule an appointment!
Ronald is one of the key contributors to BVS Home Experts, a family-owned and operated full-service air conditioning and heating company serving the Katy and West Houston areas. With a deep understanding of air conditioning and heating concerns, Ronald brings a wealth of knowledge to our readers.