Furnace Safety Inspections in Katy, TX
When professionally installed and maintained, a gas furnace is an asset to any Sealy home, providing warmth and comfort during cool evenings and winter days. However, if this same heating system should malfunction due to neglect or improper installation practices the consequences can be deadly. An annual furnace safety inspection can help protect your family from the dangers associated with carbon monoxide through the early detection of issues that can lead to leakage of this deadly gas.
The Dangers of Carbon Monoxide
Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning occurs when the invisible, odorless, colorless, tasteless gas is present in sufficient levels in poorly ventilated, contained spaces, and is inhaled by the occupants. The presence of CO in the bloodstream reduces the amount of oxygen that is carried to blood cells leading to oxygen starvation. At lower concentrations, symptoms can include:
At higher concentrations or after prolonged exposure victims may experience the following:
- Severe headache
Once the brain has been adequately deprived of oxygen symptoms continue to worsen, leading to unconsciousness, permanent brain damage, coma, or death. Long term exposure even at low level concentrations can have serious and even irreversible consequences to the body and nervous system such as organ, neurological, or circulatory system damage.
CO is a natural product of incomplete combustion and while every type of fuel burning device produces a small amount it is typically exhausted through the venting. In a dirty, improperly vented, or malfunctioning furnace however, CO is produced in much higher concentrations and can quickly leak in to your indoor air.
Tips to Prevent CO Poisoning
Carbon monoxide detectors save lives, giving occupants adequate warning to evacuate the home before CO levels can rise and cause damage. Install a CO detector in the hallway outside each sleeping area on every floor in your home, in addition to the following:
- Insist on professional installation of all fuel burning appliances by a certified, reputable contractor.
- Never leave your car running in a carport or garage even when the door is open.
- Never operate a portable generator or other gasoline propelled tool indoors or in close proximity to your home, garage, or other enclosed area.
- Never use an unvented combustion-type heater in a room or other enclosed space where anyone is sleeping.
- Have your heating system professionally inspected and tuned annually, by a qualified, reputable contractor.
The Benefits of a Furnace Safety Inspection
In addition to increasing the efficiency and longevity of your heating equipment, regular inspections can help detect small issues before they become major repairs, or deadly consequences. During your annual furnace safety inspection from BVS you can expect the following:
- Check the condition of the air filter and change and clean as needed.
- Check burner ignition and test flame sensor.
- Check vent system for blockages or leaks.
- Test safety controls.
- Test startup, operation, and shutdown cycles.
- Test the seal on the blower access door.
- Thorough examination of heat exchanger. One which is damaged as a result of cracks or corrosion can allow CO to escape.
- Check and clean blower components.
- Lubricate all moving parts.
- Examine the flue for obstructions which could prevent the exhaustion of toxic or deadly fumes.
- And more.
Schedule Furnace Safety Inspections in Katy, TX & the West Houston Area
Call BVS today at 281-394-1923 or contact us online to schedule your furnace safety inspection today, and reduce the risk of exposure to carbon monoxide inside your home.
We Service And Repair All Makes And Models
“We have used BVS for over 15 years now. They do an excellent job from start to finish. Their employees are courteous and do a great job in explaining everything. Wish all businesses could be like them.”
“BVS is dedicated to doing the job right! They recently installed two humidifiers along with some other maintenance services on my AC system. I am very pleased with the service provided. Their attention to detail was excellent.”