Light Switch Repair in Katy, TX
Light switches are a common fixture in every room in the home, used multiple times each day, and consisting of a number of different components. Although the parts you see on the outside may look fine, a number of things can go wrong behind the switch plate cover, which can compromise the safety of your home and family. In order to prevent damage to your home or wiring, it’s imperative that you watch for signs of trouble and call the electricians at BVS for professional, reliable light switch repair.
Call BVS at 281-391-1510, or contact us online to schedule an appointment for light switch repair in and around the Katy area.
Common Signs You Need Light Switch Repair Services
Warning signs may be subtle or obvious, but it’s important to call for service at the first sign of malfunctioning or abnormal activity, including:
- Changes to the switch lever. If the light switch lever becomes loose, stuck, or loses it’s “click”, it needs replacing. As with any other type of mechanical device, moving parts will eventually wear out from use, requiring periodic replacement.
- Sparking switches. A small, visual spark from inside the light switch is not uncommon or indicative of a problem. However, a large spark, one that is accompanied by an audible noise, produces smoke, or creates scorch marks requires immediate attention.
- Flickering lights. This phenomenon is typically caused by a loose light bulb, but if tightening the bulb doesn’t solve the problem the switch may be damaged, or there may be a loose connection behind the plate cover.
- Delay in service. If you turn a light switch on and there is a pause before the light comes on, there is a good chance the metal components are wearing, or have worn out inside the switch. Once these contacts start to fail, the connections needed to complete the path of electricity become compromised, causing a delay in service and requiring replacement.
- Noisy light switch. Dimmer switches may hum or buzz and become warm to the touch during operation, neither of which is cause for alarm. The buzzing noise may be caused by the type or size of bulb in the fixture and may be eliminated with a replacement bulb. In a standard light switch however, unusual noises such as a buzzing, clicking, popping, or sizzling, may be the result of a loose connection or a worn or defective switch, and should be investigated by a professional.
- Warm or hot switch. A standard light switch should not feel hot or warm to the touch. Any increase above room temperature can be a sign of a loose wire or short circuit, both of which pose a threat to your safety due to the potential for electrical shock or fire. If you notice a switch that is warmer than usual, call BVS for light switch repair.
- Tripped circuit breaker. If the circuit breaker trips when you flip the switch, the culprit is likely the breaker or fuse rather than the light switch. The breaker may be overloaded or faulty, and should be examined by a professional.
Why Choose BVS for Light Switch Repair in Katy, TX?
Electrical issues including light switch repair, should be performed by a licensed, experienced technician, to avoid further damage, fire, or personal injury. With over 30 years of experience around Katy and West Houston, Texas, the team at BVS are qualified to expertly diagnose and repair light switches, and other electrical issues around your home.
Call BVS today at 281-391-1510, or contact us online and let us know how we can help.
We Service And Repair All Makes And Models
“We have used BVS for over 15 years now. They do an excellent job from start to finish. Their employees are courteous and do a great job in explaining everything. Wish all businesses could be like them.”
“BVS is dedicated to doing the job right! They recently installed two humidifiers along with some other maintenance services on my AC system. I am very pleased with the service provided. Their attention to detail was excellent.”