If you live in Katy, the steady hum of a well-tuned air conditioner is your best friend. With August daytime highs rarely dipping below the mid-90s for the entire month and humidity levels averaging 75 percent, you can’t last long outdoors before seeking the comfort of a well air-conditioned space to beat the heat.
With the hottest part of the summer upon us, now is a good time to call BVS to repair small problems with your AC before they cause a costly, major breakdown.
Typical Air Conditioning Problems to Look Out For
When your AC is starting to malfunction, you’re likely to first notice one or more of these conditions inside your Katy home:
- Reduced airflow
- Warm air flowing from vents
- Uneven cooling throughout your home
- Higher humidity levels
- Unusual sounds
- Bad odors
These symptoms are caused by several common problems that affect AC units, including:
- Fan or condenser problems: If a fan breaks or the condenser stops, heat builds up in the unit, leading to a host of problems if not repaired immediately.
- Broken parts: Any noise you’re not accustomed to could indicate a problem with your unit. A belt could be broken or an AC component could have broken off and started rattling around inside the unit. Call for service immediately before more damage is done.
- Frozen coils: When airflow is blocked or stopped, moisture will build up on AC coils and freeze into a block of ice. Icing can lead to reduced cooling capacity and permanent damage to the compressor if ignored for too long. Changing air filters regularly will reduce the chance of freezing coils.
- Short-cycling: This term refers to an AC unit that starts and stops too frequently. Short cycling is usually caused by a broken thermostat, but it ultimately puts stress on the condenser.
- Water leaks: If you notice pools of water around your AC unit, there’s probably a clog in the drain line. Water leaks can also lead to mold growth.
- Refrigerant leaks: Refrigerant is the chemical coolant that makes air conditioning possible. The level should never be too low. If it is, there is a leak or the system was inadequately charged during installation. Only a certified technician can diagnose and repair a refrigerant problem.
- Dirt and debris buildup: A dirty AC can lead to excessive wear and tear on components, dirty air ducts, and eventually compressor failure.
Call BVS for AC Repair in Katy, TX
Showing your AC a little TLC throughout the cooling season can prevent you and your family from sweltering in your Katy home until a technician arrives. If you think your air conditioner needs repairs, contact the professionals of BVS today. For more than 30 years, we’ve been the AC contractor that residents of Katy and West Houston rely on the most. With upfront pricing, 24/7 emergency repair services, and a dedication to customer service, we’ll get the cool air flowing ASAP to ensure you’re comfortable in your home.