It’s been a very warm winter in West Houston and Katy, which means spring and summer are likely to be sweltering this year. But before you kick your air conditioning unit into full gear, you should perform a quick inspection of the system to make sure it’s in good shape—or, better yet, have a knowledgeable technician look at it!
Here are the areas you should check before you turn on your AC system:
- Ductwork: If there is exposed ductwork anywhere in your home, check it for signs of damage or wear. If you notice anything, call an HVAC technician who can determine the best solution.
- Thermostat: Did you have any problems with your thermostat last cooling season? Is it outdated? If so, it might be time to install a new programmable option that helps save you money on your energy bills.
- Air filter: Your air filter should be changed at the start of the heating or cooling season.
- Vents: Are you vents being blocked by window coverings, furniture, or dust? Make sure to clear any obstructions away from your vents before turning the AC on.
- Outdoor wiring: If you notice any signs of damage to the wiring on your AC unit, call BVS immediately!
- Actual unit: Check that nothing is blocking the area around your condenser unit and that the refrigerant lines are well-insulated. If there seems to be a problem or you don’t know where these parts are located, call a service technician from BVS Air Conditioning and Heating!
Not Sure if Your AC System is Ready for Cooling Season?
If you’re not confident in your ability to detect issues or inefficiencies in your AC system, schedule a maintenance appointment with BVS. You can make a one-time appointment or sign up for our Healthy House Maintenance Program, where we come to your home and perform preventative maintenance on your HVAC system twice per year and put you at the top of our list for emergency repair calls. Experienced HVAC technicians are more likely than the average homeowner to be able to spot minor issues before the turn into major problems, so you’re better off letting BVS take a look!
Benefits of Professional AC Maintenance
Regular maintenance is the best way to keep your air conditioner running efficiently for years to come. The benefits of semi-annual HVAC maintenance include:
- Reduced energy costs due to better energy efficiency
- Increased cooling effectiveness
- Better air quality
- Reduced repair frequency and cost
- Extended air conditioner lifespan
Read more about the benefits of air conditioner maintenance.
If you want to be sure you air conditioner is ready for the spring and summer heat, your best bet is hiring a professional. Give us a call at 281-394-1923 today if you’re interested in learning more about our AC maintenance options!