Texas homeowners are reliant on their cooling systems to help beat the summer heat and humidity. While annual preventive maintenance is the best way to ensure continuous, reliable service throughout cooling season, issues may still occur from time to time. Continuing to run your air conditioner when problems exist can cause even further damage leading to large, costly repairs, shortened lifespan, and mid-season breakdowns. Take some time to familiarize yourself with this list of common signs your air conditioner needs repair, and call BVS Air Conditioning & Heating for expert advice and service at the first signs of trouble, before any issues become worse!
Common Air Conditioning Problems
The list of reasons why your air conditioner may be malfunctioning is long and varied, but there is a much shorter list of common problems, including:
- Low refrigerant. Low levels of refrigerant are often a sign of a leak, requiring immediate attention.
- Faulty wiring. Damage due to rodents, negligence, or poor installation increases the risk of fire and may cause the system to short or lack power.
- Frozen coil. Restricted airflow due to a dirty filter, obstructions within the system, or low refrigerant levels can all cause ice to form.
- Dirty air filter. A clogged filter decreases the efficiency and effectiveness of your cooling system.
- Control issues. A faulty thermostat, or a thermostat set to warm instead of cool, can cause problems with your A/C.
- Lack of maintenance. A dirty or neglected cooling system is prone to issues due to the additional wear and tear placed on system components.
6 Signs Your Air Conditioner Needs Repair
Squealing, grinding, grating, clicking, or other unusual sounds emanating from your A/C can signal issues ranging from a lack of lubrication, slipped belt, or broken motor bearings.
A foul, pungent, or metallic odor can be a sign of an electrical issue, signaling damage to your wires and requiring immediate attention. A musty odor can mean mold growth is present within the system and should be taken care of before it can spread further.
Lack of Cool Air
If your air conditioner is blowing warm air, or failing to sufficiently cool your home, there may be an issue with the compressor or refrigerant levels.
High levels of humidity, water damage, or leakage near or around your system are all bad signs, especially if the liquid is refrigerant. Pooling water adjacent to the unit could signal a cracked or blocked drain tube which can eventually lead to mold growth.
Poor Air Flow
A weak flow of air may be indicative of a failing compressor, dirty system components, or an accumulation of debris inside your ductwork.
Air Conditioner Repair in Katy & Houston, TX
Scheduling air conditioner repair with BVS Air Conditioning & Heating at the first sign of trouble is the best way to ensure continuous service throughout the summer, while avoiding further damage and inflated repair costs. Contact us online to schedule preventive A/C maintenance or repair, or call BVS at 281-391-1510 today!